City Tobacco Use Policy
In addition, Sioux Falls City Ordinance prohibits smoking, including electronic smoking devices, on other city properties as follows:
- Within a distance of 25 feet from any entrance, passageway, operable window, or ventilation of any city-owned building, unless the person is immediately passing through the area without stopping or standing.
- Special events are smoke-free unless the permittee designates a defined area that will minimize public exposure to smoking. The Director of Parks and Recreation shall be provided notice of the proposed designated smoking area prior to issuing final approval for the event.
- City property that is leased or managed by a third party is smoke-free; however, the lessee or third-party manager may designate a smoking area that minimizes public exposure to smoking.
- The area inside the access road on the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center campus, which includes the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center, Sioux Falls Convention Center and Sioux Falls Arena. The access road connects Bailey Street to Western Avenue and Russell Street to Western Avenue.
- City golf courses, except for parking lots and during the course of play. The course of play is defined as “after the first tee, and before the green of the final hole of any nine holes of play.”
- Any ticket, boarding and waiting areas of any public transit depot.
Tobacco is still the number one preventable cause of death in the United States. If you or a friend or loved one needs assistance in quitting tobacco use, check out these resources or call the free South Dakota QuitLine at 1-866-SD-QUITS (1-866-737-8487).