Sanaa’s Asparagus Rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (optional)
- salt to taste
- Cut the asparagus into 1 inch long pieces. Discard the tough ends.
- Heat the olive oil in heavy pot and saute the asparagus for one minute. Remove the asparagus and set aside.
- Add the onion, the carrot and red bell pepper to the pot and cook over medium heat for couple minutes.
- Add the turmeric, the ginger and the garlic. Stir and cook for few seconds.
- Add 2 1/4 cup of water and the salt to the vegetables. Bring to boil. Taste, adjust the seasoning and then add the rice, stir and bring back to a boil. Cover and cook over very low heat for 20 minutes.
- Spoon the rice into serving bowl, top with the asparagus and serve.
Nutrition Facts (1 serving):
Calories: 231 kcal
Carbs: 33 g
Protein: 5 g
Sodium: 22 mg
Recipe: Sanaa Abourezk, Chef and Owner of Sanaa's 8th Street Gourmet