Smokefree Multi-Unit Housing
Why Smoke-Free Housing?
If you are a multiunit housing property owner and manager, it is important to understand the many benefits of having smoke-free properties.
Buildings may be able to attract more tenants by going smoke-free. Research shows that renters want smoke-free housing and are often willing to pay higher rent and make other sacrifices, such as walking farther to a bus stop or driving farther to work, to live in a smoke-free building. Other benefits include:
- Reduced Costs: Cleaning costs are lower when you don’t have to scrub, paint, and replace items in an apartment that smells like smoke or is covered in residue.
- Fewer Fire Risks: Smoking-related fires are deadly and costly. By going smoke-free, you eliminate the source of smoking-related fires. Some insurance companies may even provide reduced premium rates to buildings that are smoke-free or to tenants who live in a smoke-free building.
- Smoke-free Policies Are Legal: A building owner/manager can legally make a rental building (or entire property) completely smoke-free.
- Protection From Secondhand Smoke: All tenants, guests, and staff members are protected from the serious health dangers associated with secondhand smoke exposure.
- Less Vacancy: List your property in the Apartment Guide and on community websites, as many renters want to live in smoke-free facilities.
(Data courtesy of the National
Resources for Smoke-free Housing
Videotaped Presentations from the 2019 Breath of Fresh Air Summit
A workshop titled Smoking and Beyond: What It Really Cost$ You was held in February 2019 for multiunit property owners and managers, as well as anyone holding a South Dakota real estate license. Topics covered the legalities of smoke-free housing and how to create smoke-free, safe, and healthy properties. Each segment of the workshop was recorded and are available to view by clicking on the links below. If you have questions or comments, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can reach the Sioux Falls SET-Free Tobacco Coalition at (605) 371-1000.
- Health Impact of Tobacco in America
- Fair Housing Update
- HUD (Subsidized Housing) Regulations
- "Know Your Smoke Damage"
- Best Cleaning Practices
- Why We Need Vape-Free Housing
- Smoke-free Housing: Ethics, Integrity, Leases and Addendums
- Crime-free Housing
- Addictive Behavior: What to Watch for at Your Property
- Smoke-free Public Housing / Multiunit Housing Guide from U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
- Sioux Empire Renter's Guide: Look for this symbol in the printed guide and online at MyRentersGuide.com (use the "more" option in the search bar to check the box for smoke-free properties)