Smokefree Multi-Unit Housing
Register today for the 2017 Smoke-Free Multi-unit Housing Workshop, which will take place on Tuesday, March 28!
Resources for Smoke-free Housing
- Smoke-free Public Housing / Multiunit Housing Guide from U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
- Sioux Empire Renter's Guide: Look for this symbol in the printed guide and online at MyRentersGuide.com (use the "more" option in the search bar to check the box for smoke-free properties)
Why Smoke-Free Housing?
- Market Advantages: Buildings may be able to attract more tenants by going smoke-free. Research shows that renters want smoke-free housing. Many renters are even willing to pay a higher rent and make other sacrifices, such as walking farther to a bus stop or driving farther to work, to live in a smoke-free building.
- Reduced Costs: Cleaning costs are lower when you don’t have to scrub, paint, and replace items in an apartment that smells like smoke or is covered in residue.
- Fewer Fire Risks: Smoking-related fires are deadly and costly. By going smoke-free, you eliminate the source of smoking-related fires. Some insurance companies may even provide reduced premium rates to buildings that are smoke-free or to tenants who live in a smoke-free building. Since 2005, Sioux Falls Fire Rescue has responded to 68 emergencies where cigarettes either caused or were a factor in fire damage. This resulted in over $550,000 dollars in property loss.
- Smoke-free Policies Are Legal: A building owner/manager can legally make a rental building (or entire property) completely smoke-free.
- Protection From Secondhand Smoke: All tenants, guests, and staff members are protected from the serious health dangers associated with secondhand smoke exposure.
- Less Vacancy: List your property in the Apartment Guide and on community websites, as many renters want to live in smoke-free facilities.
(Data courtesy of the National
Center of Healthy Housing.)
(Source: National Center of Healthy Housing)
General Cleaning $240 $500 $720 Paint $170 $225 $480 Flooring $50 $950 $1,425 Appliances $60 $75 $490 Bathroom $40 $60 $400 Total $560 $1,810