Crockpot Orange Chicken Tacos with Pickled Vegetables
Crockpot Orange Chicken:
- 1 large halved orange (with peel on)
- 3/4 cup sugar-free, 100% orange juice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 14.5 oz canned, no salt added, diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 clove fresh garlic (minced)OR
- 4 tsp jarred, minced garlic
- 2 medium onions (coarsely chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color) coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp dried, salt-free Italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 pounds), all visible fat discarded
- 1/3 cup carrots (about ½ a carrot) cut into bite-size strips
- 1/3 cup cucumber (cut into bite-size strips)
- 3/4 cup red onion (about half an onion) cut into thin strips
- 1/2 fresh, diced jalapeño (about 1 tablespoon, for spice) optional
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar substitute/artificial sweetener
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
For the Tacos:
- 3/4 cup purple cabbage (shredded)
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves (small handful)
- 8 small corn tortillas
To make the crockpot chicken: Combine the orange, orange juice, chicken stock, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, garlic, the 2 medium onions, Italian seasoning, bell pepper and water in crock-pot.
Add chicken and submerge under mixture. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Remove chicken, tomatoes, onions and pepper from crockpot using a slotted spoon and discard cooking liquid. When cool enough to touch, shred meat by hand or with two forks. Set aside until assembly.
To make the pickled vegetables: In a medium bowl, combine carrots, cucumbers and red onion; set aside. Combine jalapeno (optional), 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup water, sugar substitute, salt, peppercorns, coriander and bay leaf in small sauce pot and bring to boil. Remove from heat and pour over vegetables. Let marinate for 15-30 minutes.
To assemble the tacos: Fill each tortilla with 2 oz. (1/2 cup) chicken, approximately ¼ cup pickled vegetables, 2 tsp. sour cream, cabbage and cilantro leaves for garnish.
Note: if you have leftover shredded chicken, put it in a container, refrigerate and use it to make a next-day salad with fresh vegetables or in tortilla soup.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, heart.org/healthyforgood.