National Women’s Health Week: What steps can you take for better health?
May 11, 2018
National Women's Health Week (May 13-19) is a great reminder for women to make their health a priority and build positive health habits for life. Here are some simple steps you can take:
- Get your check-ups! Schedule your well-women visits, preventive screenings, dental exams and eye exams. If it helps you remember them better, schedule them all during your birthday month.
- Move Well! Regular physical activity is important to your health. Move any way that is comfortable and enjoyable for you.
- Eat Well. Balance your plate with fruits & vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains and low-fat dairy. Check out our Recipe Center for ideas!
- Pay attention to mental health, including getting enough sleep and managing stress.
- Avoid unhealthy behaviors, such as smoking, texting while driving, and not wearing a seatbelt or bicycle helmet.
Now, how do you make getting (and staying) healthy fun? Try these ideas:
- Sip on water instead of soda and sugary drinks....infuse your water with fruits or herbs for extra flavor.
- Organize a lunchtime walk with friends or coworkers.
- Encourage everyone to stand at your next meeting.
- Host a healthy potluck or lunchtime salad bar.
- Invite a local fitness instructor to teach a free yoga or Zumba class at your office or church.
- Turn on your favorite music and dance.